For Sheel, the son of our hip urban-dwelling cousins, I made this quilt using fabrics from a fat quarter bundle of Fawn in tulip by Hawthorne Threads. If I haven't mentioned Hawthorne Threads yet, I've been remiss. I absolutely love their site. So much cool stuff and the perfect blend of modern and whimsical fabrics. Their blog is great for project inspiration as well. This series is one of their original designs. I used a large stag panel (I'm planning on using the complementary fawn panel for another project), and then used the FQ to do half square triangles. I included a bit of sashing to break up the monotony of the white and frame the center.
I used stitch in the ditch for quilting, and tried to keep it very minimal since I was using Minky Cuddle Spa Charcoal Fabric
for the back. I didn't want to press down all the fur with a lot of intricate quilting. I've never used minky before, and sewing it (and keeping it in place!) took some getting used too.
Especially since I opted to eliminate the binding and instead just sewed the two sides of the quilt together, which I thought looked really good with the minky backing.
The end result was super soft yet sleek and elegant.







No comments:
Post a Comment